Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada Hits Another Milestone: First Acrylic Panels are Placed
Toronto, ON (June 13, 2012) – Toronto’s newest family attraction – Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada – came one step closer toward completion when the first of its 50 giant acrylic panels were installed this morning.
These giant panels, part of the much anticipated aquarium, travelled via land and sea to the Toronto construction site and required special equipment to be hoisted into place. Action took place at 288 Bremner, at the base of the CN Tower. Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada will open in July 2013.
See fact sheets below on the acrylic, on Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada, and on all of Ripley’s Aquariums.
Click on image to Download High Resolution Photos of Today’s Milestone event:
Facts About The Acrylic Panels
- The acrylic panels were specially made in Japan at the Nippura Company, as they are the most trusted and qualified supplier to produce panels of the highest quality
- A total of 50 panels ranging in size from 700 mm x 334 mm to 14,850 mm x 3,861 mm will be positioned into place and used within the aquarium
- The lightest panel weighs only 6 kg and the heaviest panel weights 11,550 kg
- The thickness of the panels range from 20 mm to 305 mm
- All 50 panels are expected to be put in place by the end of July 2012
- While most of the panels were cast at the factory, two of the largest will need to be chemically bonded on site
- The North and South Tunnel sections of the shark lagoon will contain 6 and 7 panels, respectively, with seam/sealant joint
- Wednesday, June 13, 2012 marks the first installation of the panels, commencing with the north section of the tunnel and using a total of six panels ranging in size from 4,672 mm x 5,698 mm to 7,244 mm x 5,698 mm and in weight from 2,201 kg to 3,338 kg
- Small chips or cracks in the panel can be repaired chemically on site
Facts about The Aquarium
- Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada is a 12,500-square-metre (135,000-square-foot) major family attraction with 5.7-million litres (1.5-million gallons) of marine and freshwater habitats from around the world. Among the many exciting interactive exhibits for families and school groups, the Aquarium will contain:
- More than 13,500 exotic sea and freshwater creatures, comprising more than 450 species;
- A unique 96-metre-long (315 foot) moving walkway through an acrylic tunnel deep below the 2.84-million litre (750,000-gallon) Shark Lagoon, a habitat occupied by 3 to 3.7-metre-long (10 – to 12-foot) sand tiger sharks, large tooth sawfish and dozens of other species. Guests may step on and off the walkway as they choose to spend extra time admiring the huge sharks;
- Main exhibition includes a tropical reef tank, along with Great Lakes exhibits and Atlantic and Pacific habitats;
- A Marine and Freshwater Education Centre with dedicated classroom space;
- Flexible and changing exhibition space;
- Food service and retail store.
- The Aquarium will be open 365-days-a-year, starting in the summer of 2013.
Facts about all Three of Ripley’s Aquariums
- Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada is set to open in summer 2013 and is a member of the Ripley Entertainment Inc. family of worldwide entertainment facilities, which includes two existing aquariums.
- Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg, Tenn., is the second-most-visited attraction in the state and was voted the No. 1 aquarium in America by TripAdvisor.com. Ripley’s Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, S.C., is that state’s most visited attraction. The two aquariums have entertained nearly 30-million visitors since 1997.
- Ripley’s aquariums are known for their shark exhibits that feature 10-foot sharks and two of the longest underwater tunnels in the world. More than 12 million people visit Ripley’s 80-plus attractions in 10 countries each year. Ripley Entertainment Inc. is a division of the Jim Pattison Group, the third-largest privately held company in Canada.
- For more detailed information, high-resolution downloadable photos and renderings, and broadcast quality b-roll, please visit Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada’s website at www.ripleysaquariumofcanada.com.
Ripley Entertainment Inc.
cell – 615-496-5949