World Sword Swallowing Day Celebrated: Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Features 22 Performers Swallowing 138 Feet of Solid Steel
ORLANDO, Fla. (March 3, 2010) – To celebrate this year’s World Sword Swallowers Day, 22 daring and brave performers across North America swallowed nearly 138 feet of solid steel at 10 Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditoriums.
And according to all reports, all that sharp steel went down the hatch without a scratch!
The 22, including four women, who performed this year, swallowed 84 swords in total, measuring 137.46 feet in length. It was one of the largest simultaneous gatherings of sword swallowers ever.
Highlights of the day include:
- Red Stuart swallowed a record 52 swords at one time at the Atlantic City Believe It or Not!
- George the Giant swallowed a 33-inch long sword at the Hollywood Believe It or Not!
- Dan Meyer swallowed a razor sword and hedge clippers at the Grand Prairie, Texas Believe It or Not!
- Six swallowers, including two women, performed at the Times Square, New York City Believe It or Not!
- Travis Fessler swallowed a sword with cockroaches crawling around in his mouth at the Gatlinburg, Tenn. Believe It or Not! Odditorium.
- Mike Harrison swallowed a sword that was propelled down his throat by the discharge of a gun at the Orlando, Fla. Believe It or Not!
“The amazing success of today’s events proves that Ripley’s Believe It or Not! is indeed, the global authority on the weird, strange, bizarre and the UNBELIEVABLE,” said Tim O’Brien, VP Communications for Ripley Entertainment Inc. “Sword swallowers and Ripley go way back to the very first Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditorium, set up at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1933. There, three performers, two of whom were ladies, mesmerized the huge crowds. Ripley’s has been home to sword swallowers around the world ever since.”
World Sword Swallowers Day, co-sponsored by Sword Swallowers Association International and Ripley’s Believe It or Not! is held each year on the last Saturday in February. Next year’s event will be held at Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditorums worldwide, on Feb. 26. (2011).
Ripley Entertainment Inc.
Office – 615-646-7465
Cell – 615-496-5949
Sword Swallowers Association International